Editing

We decided to divide our editing into three parts: Murder/flashback scene, Car scene, Street/House scene. We started with the murder scene as we thought that this was the main, significant event which features in the narrative, as it ties the whole story together. During our editing we decided to cut out the dialogue, as we didn’t feel that it was necessary to the narrative, and we thought that with just some audio music underneath, it would create more tension between the characters. Overall with this footage we didn’t feel that we needed to enhance any of the clips as we were quite happy with the quality and the original contrast of the clips.

More

Filming

After reviewing our script, we decided to divide our filming sessions into easily achievable parts, in order that we could complete all the required footage and have sufficient time for editing.

First Day

We decided to film the car scenes first, as we thought that these might be the hardest . We had to consider issues such as, the speed of the car, different shots and angles ( in which we had to be realistic about what we could achieve, while we also wanted a varied mix of interesting shots). We therefore tried shots within the car, while also experimenting with different ways we film the car. More

Script Ideas

Group Roles

Overall we decided to share the roles within the group, however we decided that it was important to assign specific areas, which we would individually be in charge of:

Alice Cadenhead- Editor

Rachel Philogene- Director/ Camera operator

Emily Vella – Script Writer

Rachel Hancock – Actor

Jake Elliot – Actor

Script Ideas

Our first idea was to create something which didn’t involve  violence or horror, in which we wanted to explore  the drama and personal journey of our protagonist. We decided that the story should be focused on following  the protagonists realisation  that he has been involved in a car accident and is consequently dead. We produced a couple of scripts, in the first script we thought about how we could communicate and eventual realisation through flashbacks, whereas in the second script we thought about his discovery could be more subtle:

First Idea

Second Idea

However after thinking about the idea further, we decided that this story could be too obvious and that the audience would realise immediately that our protagonist was dead ( as it is a twist that has often been used). Also the car accident would be very difficult to effectively produce. We therefore decided to take a different direction in our ideas for the film. We were still interested in creating a thriller, and a twist for the audience. More

Genre Research

As a group we brainstormed ideas on the type of genre and story we wanted to produce for our narrative short. We decided to do a thriller genre piece, in which we wanted to explore the type of techniques and methods that are used within the genre. I therefore decided that it could be useful to collect together some research from both short narrative films and higher budget feature films to gain ideas, about the type of things that we could achieve and effective ways we could emulate the genre. Here are some clips which I found particularly useful:

More

Final Image

This is my final outcome, in which I mainly experimented with using photoshop brushes. The only stock image that I did collect was for the background [link]. More

Profile Image experiments

I found it hard to immediately start experimenting on Photoshop. Therefore I decided to start by doing some paintings, in order to get an idea of the kind of brush strokes, effects and colours which I wanted to use:

More

Profile Pictures

From looking at my research, I noticed that the majority of the images used head shots. This was something I wanted to imitate in creating my stock photography, for the assignment, as I wanted to focus on the facial elements and how that could be extended and manipulated, using different brush techniques.

More

Previous Older Entries