Final Layouts

In my final layouts I also added a spread for my long feature (Steam in the London Underground), in which I wanted to implement the social aspects of the railway life/ workers. This can be seen in the images I used; one from the late 1800s displaying the workers building the underground, and the other showing the organisers and workers, who worked on the 150 years celebrations.

Gallery

Final Covers

In my original designs for the cover I produced this vintage poster style, however I thought that a full scale image might be more appropriate, as the margins on my previous design were very small and it didn’t really connect well with the rest of the magazine. Also I needed to incorporiate my masthead, and I thought that the dark blue contrasted well with the greyscale of the image.

Gallery

Developed Layouts

Layout 2

I played around with perspective in the text and images. Thinking about the shapes I could make, for example, the text clouds I produced on one of my short feature spreads. I also thought about how I could separate content on my news spread, thinking about train tracks, by separating information into columns. However, when creating the spread for the contents pages, I felt that the fold out might be an unnecessary feature, as it would thicken the magazine awkwardly and I found it difficult to make the spread flow effectively.

Layout 3

I wanted to unify the spreads more effectively, in which I placed this blue bar (logo/ colour scheme) at the bottom of the pages to run through the magazine. I used the small dots for my page numbers, as I thought they could represent stops on a train map. Also, I decided to use the colours from my contents page image, at the top of the different articles, to show whether it was news (light blue), or a feature (green) with a vertical line at the end, used as a stop point. I thought that all of these aspects made the magazine more coherent, as the spreads were easily able to link from one to another.

Recreating a Magazine

In groups we were given a magazine to redesign, in order to start thinking about how a concept or idea can be used to recreate a magazine. We chose to look at navigation within ‘Cabinet’ magazine, as it had very long articles which were not necessarily clear what they communicated. We produced this rough draft by photocopying some spreads from the magazine and colour coded the different articles. It was useful to think about how the content could be separated and presented. However I think our designs didn’t necessary fit in with the magazine.